Does anyone else use instant messenger for work? Like it was cool back with AOL? We have it at work and I don't really know the proper etiquette of it. So it automatically pops up and flashes on your screen. It's a nice way to talk to someone without making any noise (a polite thing to do when working in cubes). It's a great way to vent about an annoying cube mate that is talking too loud, eating too loud, smells or is just annoying (as long as you close and delete the message), and it's great while you are on a conference call. Still able to communicate without speaking, you know?
So this is my pet peeve, or maybe I don't know the proper etiquette. If someone starts their ping/instant message off with Hi Allison
and then nothing nothing nothing, am I required to respond? Like I have to say something back to you in order for you to continue with why you were pinging me to begin with? I assume if you needed to tell me something, you would just go ahead and tell it to me. Or leave me a question. It's like an email. You email someone with the whole story, question, explanation, whatever. You do the same when you call someone. Why is an instant message any different?
I find it really hard to concentrate. It just makes you stop everything and write back "hi" and then wait for whatever they wanted to say. Can't they just type it all and when i am ready, I can read their ping, respond and move on?
Thoughts would be appreciates on this. Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment